Welcome to Genvid Technologies SDK 1.20.0. This release is ready and stable
for integration and can be used for local development and limited cloud
deployment. We are still missing some features for a complete production
deployment which can be provided through other software. Please contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re planning a production deployment.
We are still committed to a regular pace for our releases until we get all the
features done for a comfortable production deployment. We always work to
ensure a smooth upgrade between releases and provide as much backward
compatibility support as possible.
Here is a summary of our current functionalities. See below for the list of
new features in this release.
- Windows C++ API with a C# wrapper.
- D3D11 or raw frame video capture.
- WASAPI audio capture.
- Video encoding (H264 + AAC).
- Video streaming to YouTube.
- Video streaming to Twitch.
- Multiple audiovisual and data streams coming from multiple
- Streaming additional arbitrary game events and notifications.
- Scalable event messaging system.
- Automatic synchronisation between video and game data streams.
- Multiple distributed source of A/V and Data (still beta).
- Live video editing and basic composition effects (still in beta).
- RTMP Ingest server (still in beta).
- Unity3D integration (Game and Management).
- Unreal Engine integration (Game and Management).
- REST API to control the services (still in beta).
- Tools and scripts for managing your local and remote clusters,
with example scripts for AWS.
- Metrics feed (still in beta).
- Load testing library.
- Extensive documentation.
- Multiple integration samples.
- Dynamic composition graph (defined in services.nomad.tmpl file).
More to Come
Additionally, we are working on a full new feature pipeline to be released as
soon as each is ready:
- Remote management services for sharing your clusters with others.
- SSL support for external APIs.
- ACL support on Management APIs.
- Hardware encoding.
- Instant replay.
- Better cluster-configuration management.
- Many more improvements and features exposed in our UI (including
- Offline data-stream recording and playback.
- Offline broadcast-session editing.
- SDK Manager to help handling multiple SDK installations.
Major Changes in This Version
Added Notification API HTTP Endpoint
command API now exposes a new endpoint (
POST /notifications )
allowing the broadcaster to send notifications to all users without needing to
send them from the game. This lets you perform actions such as controlling the
notifications from an admin website, for example.
New Branding of Genvid SDK
We launched a new set of branding elements and incorporated them into the
Genvid SDK. This update doesn’t affect the SDK in any functional way. Enjoy
the new look!
Upgraded NodeJS to 8.12.0 LTS
The Genvid SDK installer now bundles the NodeJS 8.12.0 LTS release. This
resolves some compatibility issues several samples had with earlier versions
of NodeJS. The SDK is not yet compatible with NodeJS 10.13.0 LTS.
Upgraded HashiCorp Suite (Consul 1.4.4, Nomad 0.8.7, Vault 1.1.2, Terraform
We upgraded all 4 products of the HashiCorp Suite used in the Genvid SDK. This
includes the latest features and security fixes as of April 2019.
New Vault Management Interface
You can now manage your cluster Vaults directly from the Cluster Status page.
This new interface lets you perform normal Vault operations, such as re-
initializing, resetting, applying policies, etc.
New Genvid Web SDK module
different ways of importing the modules for each library:
- A compressed node package file.
Please refer to the upgrade notes from 1.19.0 to 1.20.0 for more information.
Local Cluster No Longer Configured During Bastion Setup
Creating a local cluster is now an option when running the
genvid-bastion install command–not the default behavior. See Initialize the local cluster
for more information.
Studio-UI Broadcast Panel Deprecated
We deprecated the Broacast panel in Studio-UI and will remove it in a future
release. You can still use the On Air button, which is in the bottom-left
corner of Studio-UI. If you currently have a Broadcast panel in your
dashboard, you can remove it by clicking the Edit button of the dashboard.
Toolbox Now Supports Named Profiles
The Genvid Toolbox now supports custom named profiles to make managing
multiple environments easier. Once created, you can change the environment
variables GENVID_PROFILE and GENVID_PROFILES_PATH from their default values
("" and “~/.genvid/profile”) to point to the custom profile you want to use.
If you change the value of GENVID_PROFILE, the named profile must exist in the
folder set by GENVID_PROFILES_PATHS. Otherwise, an exception will be raised.
The GenvidClient Interface Now Supports Reconnection to Leaf
The GenvidClient interface now exposes an
onDisconnect callback that is
triggered when the client’s websocket closes.
The interface also exposes a
reconnect function. It receives new stream
info, a new leaf URI, and a new token as parameters, then establishes a new
websocket connection to the provided URI.
Minor Changes and Other Fixes
- [sdk] Now supporting IPv6.
- [sdk] Added missing early parameter validations from SDK functions
to avoid crash.
- [sdk] Fixed some memory leaks when Genvid_Terminate() is called.
- [sdk] Fixed a crash when Genvid_Terminate() is called.
- [sdk] Fixed tags on genvid.sdk.frame* metrics.
- [web] The
genvidmodule no longer depends on
- [web] The WebGL clearColor value is now expected to be an array of
- [web] Added support to event twitchextoncontext. The handler of
this event has an extra parameter with the new context and array
of modified fields.
- [web] GenvidClient now exposes an OnDisconnect callback, triggered
when its websocket closes.
- [web] GenvidClient now exposes the ability to reconnect to a leaf.
- [web] Fixed volume state inconsistencies with Standalone, YouTube,
and Twitch video player.
- [web] Fixed inconsistent mute state behavior in overlay for
Tutorial and UE4 samples.
- [web] Twitch player overlay no longer pauses during the first
seconds after the stream starts to play.
- [web] When the video resumes playing after being paused, it will
resume at the most recent video time.
- [bins] Binsd is now started by default on the Bastion and Cluster
instead of with the Studio Sample.
- [studio] Disabled auto-cut checkbox when no scenes are created.
- [studio] Disabled Audio Mixer panel when audio stream is disabled.
- [studio] Disabled On Air button for standalone mode.
- [studio] Changed scenes display from dropdown to unfold list.
- [studio] Added indication of which scene is currently streamed.
- [studio] Moved save and delete buttons to selected scene.
- [studio] Added undo feature to selected scene. Resets scene to
last saved settings.
- [studio] When auto-cut selected, saving changes will cut to the
current streaming scene.
- [studio] Added warning message for uncut saved changes on
- [studio] Added value fields to showcase current streaming audio
- [studio] Avoid to freeze the monitor when we select source view.
- [studio] Solved an issue preventing the video layout sliders to
update their range.
- [studio] Temporarily disabled the access to Still-Image video
layout until the feature is completed.
- [studio] Added a fixed panel to display On Air status and the
information related to the Cut action.
- [studio] Fixed a Play in Editor issue that prevented it from
streaming on the website.
- [ingest] Reduced chances of Ingest crashing from clicking
start/stop in OBS.
genvid.leafd.connection.currentis now correctly updated
as a gauge.
- [composed] Fixed a rare crash in ComposeD due to concurrent access
on sessions list.
- [rootd] Fixed an issue where Rootd couldn’t listen to it’s binding
address after a failure.
- [terraform] Fixed the module definition so that the userdata
doesn’t change when the number of workers instances is greater
than one. Note that server instances will still be recreated if
server_instance_count is modified.
- [terraform] Fixed a bug where the Linux servers where no longer
using Consul as a primary DNS resolver after reboot.
- [terraform] Forced VPC Terraform Module to version 1.66.0 as our
modules are not compatible with version 2.x
- [terraform] Users no longer need to change the
iam_policy_auto_create Terraform variable to “1” so the AWS
policies pass when creating the cluster.
genvid-bastion statuswill now show the version of the
bastion and cluster instance.
- [toolbox] Fixed
genvid-sdk setupto look for the SDK images in
the correct key path.
- [toolbox] Added a new command
cleaning old SDK images.
- [toolbox] New subcommand
genvid-sdk versiondisplays the version
of the cluster instance.
- [toolbox] Added a new
genvid-sdk update-imagescommand which
lets you update the images configuration on a cluster based on an
already populated S3 bucket.
- [toolbox] The
genvid.toolbox.DockerTool.update_imagenow have an optional
--basedirargument to set the directory the files are stored in.
We also added the method
renames a ZIP file to match the regular expression
genvid.toolbox.DockerTool.RE_IMAGE_IMAGEID. We updated all
samples for the new functionality.
- [toolbox] When DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME is not set,
genvid.toolbox.DockerToolwill no longer try to use
for setting the environment. Instead, it uses the default client
connection. This should allow the system to build using [Docker
- [toolbox] Added a new
BastionToolin the Genvid toolbox to help
manage a local Bastion.
genvid.toolbox.sdk.get_confignow also returns the
genvid-bastion startcan now also start non-autostart
jobs if passed as an argument.
- [toolbox] Added
a configuration file through
consul-template(like most of our
samples scripts do).
- [toolbox] SDK version number is now displayed at the bottom of
Bastion-UI and Cluster-UI.
- [toolbox] In Cluster-UI, we added a link to the associated Bastion
at the bottom-left corner.
- [toolbox] Bastion-UI and Cluster-UI are upgraded to Angular 7.
- [toolbox] In Bastion-UI, we have a new layout for the Terraform-
settings editor along with labels that display the type of value
(local, global, or default).
- [toolbox] API schemas are now located in genvidtools/libs for both
Bastion-api and Cluster-api to share.
- [toolbox] Swagger UI is implemented in Bastion-UI for Bastion-API
- [toolbox] Fixed a bug where
genvid-ami setupwould create an AMI
using a region obtained from Terraform variables, but then try to
access it using the AWS configuration of the environment.
- [toolbox] Terraform module is initialized when a clone cluster is
- [toolbox] Added support for loading user profiles using the new
environment variables GENVID_PROFILE and GENVID_PROFILES_PATH.
can now set the Consul node ID through the
genvid-bastion installnow accepts
--node-nameto set the Bastion Consul Agent node name and ID.
- [toolbox] Fixed a bug which caused
genvid-clusters terraform- planto return an exit code of 1 on success.
- [toolbox] Fixed an issue where an existing Vault token would fail
to be reused.
- [toolbox] Added 3 new methods to
- [toolbox] The command
genvid-sdk load-config-sdknow updates the
binaries path for the local cluster.
- [toolbox] You can now specify the number of allocations included
in the bug report when using
genvid-sdk setupwill now correctly update the
binairies of an existing local cluster.
- [toolbox] Fixed a bug where S3 bucket key-prefixes could contain a
/depending on their format.
- [toolbox] Fixed a bug where genvid-sdk setup would return before
the local cluster is ready to be used.
- [toolbox] Fixed a race-condition where we would try to set a
policy in Vault before it is fully initialized.
- [toolbox] Fixed a bug where some jobs wouldn’t stop properly in
- [ami] Changed the VAULT_ADDR value from
- [ami] We now ensure the Windows DNS is correctly set after reboot.
- [ami] We now flush the DNS cache regularly on Windows to resolve
discovery of dynamic addresses faster.
- [ami] Set Windows Negative DNS Cache to 0 on the genvidtech-
- [genvid-ami] Added a new
--ami-versionargument to the setup
command. This option should only be used when explicitly stated in
the documentation or by expert users.
- [wingame-ami] The game AMI now supports instance types without a
Z:\drive. This makes it easier to use newer instance types like
- [cluster-api] The CLUSTER_ID environment variable now propagates
properly to each job.
- [gvencode] Fixed the memory footprint to no longer grow
- [gvencode][composed] Fix missing symbol names in stack trace on
- [ue4] Added Unreal Engine v4.21 compatibility to the UE4 plugin.
- [ue4] Added a manifest file functionality to Unreal samples.
- [ue4] The UE4 Cube sample can now be forced to build with Visual
Studio 2015 or 2017.
- [ue4] Fixed regular lag spikes when playing in the Unreal Editor
with a cluster selected.
- [ue4] Corrected cubes rotation direction.
- [unity] Fixed Genvid terminate issue related to events/commands.
- [unity] Fixed website matrix conversion code which prevented
proper clicking of the cubes.
- [unity] Changed D3D11 Fullscreen Mode to Fullscreen Window to fix
- [unity] Added a command line argument when booting a Unity
application to activate the Genvid SDK.
- [unity] Modified the
ProjectSettings.assetfile from the sample
project to be compatible with Unity 2018 for the resolution when
used in the cloud.
- [unity] Added a new refresh button in the Genvid window for the
Genvid.dllto fix a package install issue.
- [unity] Added a button to display the Unity editor logs in the
- [unity] Unity prefab and sample updated to use new function in the
C Sharp wrapper to filter the Genvid status between error,
warning, and success.
- [unity] Better handling of faulty web requests while using the
- [unity] Fixed the manual activation of the Genvid SDK inside the
Genvid Unity prefab.
- [unity] Fixed a 10 second freeze when doing a start/stop in the
- [unity] Fixed bug where Unity would forget cluster selection in
Genvid Editor window.
- [unity] Fixed a crash that occurred when switching between
clusters in the Genvid Editor window.
- [unity] Fixed an issue related to DLL handling while opening the
Genvid window during runtime.
- [samples] Added annotation samples in UE4 and Unity that display
their results on the website.
- [docker-machine] Docker Machine upgraded from v0.13.0 to v0.16.1.
- [hashi-ui] Hashi-UI upgraded to v1.0.0.
- [consul-template] Consul Template software upgraded from v0.19.4
- [nomad] Nomad-UI link has been added to Bastion UI and Cluster UI.
- [bastion] The local cluster is no longer created by default. You
will need to run
genvid-sdk setupto create it.
- [consul] We now set the parameter disable_host_node_id in
Consul configuration, which lets the Consul Agent have a more
stable node ID based on its hostname.
- [consul] Leaf Websocket endpoint is now configurable (static)
through Consul at genvid/services/leaf/websocketURLSuffix.
Twitch Extension Developer Rig not working.
The Twitch Extension Developer Rig doesn’t provide any real player or video
stream to synchronize the data. For this reason, our web client isn’t able to
play back any data.
Compose window isn’t available if behind a proxy.
Future versions of Bastion will have a remote server to allow access from
different machines. The current version has limited support for this and is
likely to encounter some problems if the Bastion host lives behind a cluster
firewall (like on a Amazon EC2 machine).
As a workaround, you can create VPN connections to the Bastion machine so the
local IP of the machine is accessible from the client machine.
The application doesn’t work properly after Windows comes back from sleep.
Nomad has some difficulties with sleeping jobs, including itself. This is
unlikely to get fixed in Nomad, but shouldn’t happen in a production
environment. The best workaround at present is to not allow Windows to go to
sleep when you are running the service, or simply to restart the service with
genvid-bastion reinstall. (Unfortunately,
genvid-bastion restart is not
The YouTube stream isn’t properly reset after a gvencode restart.
If you stop and quickly restart the services, the YouTube streaming service
considers it part of the same streaming session. Although this may be
desirable most of the time, this could lead to showing up as the previous
session due to the long latency between the services and the actual view which
can create some delay in the stream. A future version will provide a proper
way to request a new stream. Until then, you can either reset your stream key
from the YouTube dashboard or simply wait a little longer (about 5 minutes
should be enough) before restarting the service.
Audio captures microphone or infinitely loops.
When using the WASAPI audio auto-capture mode, every sound going through the
machine’s default audio-device gets captured. This includes system alerts and
microphone input, as well as your web browser. When test-viewing your game
stream using the same local machine running the game, the game will also
capture its own audio stream with ~10s of latency. This yields some echo with
progressively worse sound quality since it is compressed every time it is
You can disable audio in 2 ways:
configuration. (The default setting.)
- Use our raw audio-capture, which is now the default setting in
Standalone player with Firefox not working.
The readable streams must be enabled in Firefox for the standalone player to
work properly. You must set
true from the
Auto-cut checkbox state is stored locally only.
In Studio, the state of the auto-cut checkbox in Scene Widget is only stored
in local storage: Clearing the browser cache will also clear user input. Also,
if auto-cut is turned “on” before the Studio session ends, it will be set back
to “off” by default when you start the Studio session again.
Studio can not take inputs of the same control from multiple windows.
If Studio is opened in more than one browser window and inputs are received
from different sources to one control, the final value will then bounce
between the different inputs instead of updating it to the latest one. For
example, in Audio Mixer Widget, if a user changes the slider of Master Gain to
20 db and another user then changes it to 0 db, the slider handle will bounce
between 20 db and 0 db instead of being set to 0 db. Inputs from different
windows to one control is not recommended until we resolve the issue.