Genvid Forum

Annotation Timeout?

Hey again! In the game that I am currently working on, we have a large amount of data that must be transmitted at the start of the scene. We also want people who have joined the stream late (after that initial data was sent) to receive that information as well - it seems that an annotation is the right way to go, as it seems to linger around for a bit after it is initially sent.

Unfortunately, the data doesn’t last as long as we need it to - is there a way to change how long annotations are broadcast to viewers? Or, am I approaching this problem the wrong way - is there a better way to send persistent, large data to viewers that join late to the stream, without sending it multiple times to those who were already present for the initial event?

Thanks!
Lucas

Ah, in reading the documentation again (here: https://genvidtech.com/doc/SDK-1.17.0/architecture/streams/streams.html#annotation-streams ) annotations aren’t really for cached data (though they do get spread across multiple frames) - so, I suppose my question is really: What is the “Genvid way” of handling large data that should be cached and sent once to each viewer, regardless of when they join the stream?

Hey Lucas,

Sending a one-time-only data package is not currently supported by the Genvid framework.

I would be interested to know a bit more about your use case. What type of data are you looking to send and what is the approximate size?

Alex

Hey Alex!

The use case is a procedurally generated player avatar photo - we’d like to send the image bit array over the stream (so that it can be decoded client-side by the viewer), but image data is super chunky and the game slows down to a crawl if it’s sent frequently; the images aren’t large, but they’re in the KB of data.

Hey Lucas,

It doesn’t really sound like a good use case for the Genvid streams. They are too heavy for what you need and your not making use of their added value of being synchronised with the streams.

Could you perhaps look at doing some logic inside the client to load the assets from another location? Perhaps a cloud storage system?

If needs be you could even send the location in the stream which would be very lightweight and process it in the client.

Alex

That makes sense - I’ll check with the dev to see if any of that sounds like a good course of action. Thanks, Alex!